Short Story Contest Rules
Please ensure that you read the rules carefully before entering the contest. Entry implies acceptance of all of the rules and failure to comply may result in disqualification.
- Two contest periods per year: April 1 – Sept. 30 and Oct. 1 – March 31. In addition, a $50 prize will be awarded each month for the “Story of the Month”.
- Participants must be at least 18 years old by their competition’s closing date.
- Writers from all countries are welcome.
- Stories must be submitted in English.
- Maximum story length: 4500 words.
- All fiction genres are eligible.
- Entry is open to any writer who does not have an agent or who does not support themself primarily through their fiction writing.
- Multiple story entries are allowed, but a separate entry form must be submitted for each story.
- Our Story Entry Form must be completed and submitted for the story to qualify as an official entry.
- All entries must be original works by the submitting author.
- All entries are final. No revisions are accepted.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Stories can be submitted as plain text in an email, or as a PDF file, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can even mail us your story to 9719 Portside, Bradenton, FL 34212.
- Excessive violence or sex, as determined by the judges, will result in disqualification.
- Entries will be judged by professional authors.
- Winning entrants grant Short Story Land the right to publish their winning stories on ShortStoryLand.com.
- Short Story Land reserves the right to make any appropriate edits, i.e., punctuation, spelling, to any winning story entries published on-site or in our 2020 anthology.